Hartford-Sumner Elementary School and Buckfield Jr./Sr. High School
From Your Nezinscot School Counselors, Mr. Gauvin, Mr. Webber and Mrs. Johnson
School has been closed and my child needs help, what can I do?
● Non-Emergency Situations
○ The school counselors are available during the regular school day via
email (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) to check-in
with as needed and to help answer any questions or concerns. Emails will be answered within 24 hours, Monday - Friday. Email is not appropriate for urgent or emergency situations. For these types of situations, please use the numbers and resources below.
● Emergency Situations OR If the School Counselor is Unavailable
○ Contact the school resource officer, Officer Turner (email@example.com) .
○ If your child needs help/is in crisis or you/they are concerned about somebody else, call the crisis hotline (1-888-568-1112). This will connect you to the closest crisis center and is available 24/7.
● Emergency Situations That Require Immediate Assistance/Someone’s Life Is or May Be in Danger
○ Call 911 or report to the nearest emergency department.
● Clinical School-Based Counselors
○ If your child meets with one of the outside clinical counselors at school, please email/call them to see what options are available for support/counseling at this time.
■ Oxford County Mental Health Services 364-3549
■ Pathways of Maine 777-5888
● Area Resources
● Tips to Talk to your Kids
● Tips to Help Reduce Anxiety
○ Validate feelings
○ Normalize anxiety during heightened situations
○ Focus on what they have control of
○ Encourage distraction
■ Going for a walk
■ Craft project
■ Focus on your child's favorite hobby
■ Family time
● Other Hotlines
○ National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
○ State of Maine’s Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-452-1999 (Staffed 24 hours a day).
○ 211 (Available 24/7 to provide information and connect you to local programs and services).
● Resources for Remote Learning with a Focus on School Counseling Domains